Thursday, August 25, 2011

Do you have any?



I have always loved art and its many components. What better way to express yourself through art than by getting a tattoo? To me, a tattoo should be something that is meaningful and representative, not just some silly trendy thing you got while on spring break at the beach that you may regret later. I have 2 tattoos both that are relatively new. My first tattoo I got for my 30th b-day as a present from my husband. I got my second tat about 5 months later - both in 2008.

Before I explain my tats - here is a little advice for you if you are considering getting inked:

1. Think it out before acting. Do you really want something to be on your body the rest of you life? If you are even questionable on this, then don't do it.

2. Why are you getting a tattoo? Are you copying your friends or a celebrity? Make sure the tat means something to you or you may regret it later.

3. What is your occupation? Will you be able to cover up the tat if need be?

4. Are you a tanner, swimmer or love to workout? You will have to lay off these things for 2-3 weeks while you are healing or you could really mess up your new ink.

5. Are you concerned about what others will think? If so a tat is probably not for you.

6. Are you prepared to pay for it? Literally. Tats can be quite expensive and keep in mind you will have to generously tip your artist as well. They are performing a service just like if you were getting your hair done or going to the day spa or getting a massage. A 20% tip is expected in addition to the price of the tat.

7. Are you willing to maintain your tat over the years and get touch ups when needed? If not, over time your tat will fad and not look so nice and new.

8. Finally - consider the location of the tat. Some areas of the body are more sensitive than others. Fleshy areas such as biceps and thighs are a little more forgiving. Bony areas like the ribcage, feet and back can be more sensitive. Everyones pain tolerance is different. What hurts you may not hurt another.


Both of my tats are very special to me. I drew and designed both of mine and my tattoo artist (who did both my tats) took special care to interpret my ideas in his work. I love how both turned out.

My first tat was the one on my right foot in the pic. On first glance you may not notice it, but my husband and I's initials are in the middle of the vine. Everyone told me that this tat was gonna hurt SO bad, but honestly it was tolerable. I found out that I have a higher pain tolerance than I had thought. I got this tat in July 08.

My second tat is on my upper left thigh. It is black and hot pink and portrays a shooting star type design. My favorite number is 7 and pink is one of my favorite colors and I wanted to design a tattoo around that. This tat is diagonal (the pic shows a flat angle) and the left side of the pic is actually the top and it runs diagonal slightly across my thigh and is about 5 inches long. I got this one in Nov 08.

So that's the story on my tattoos. So do you have any? I would love to hear all about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...